How to secure your PC from hacks?
Internet has connected the world, but it can be a scary place too. In the present data-driven world, hackers are continuously developing new tricks and tools to attack any PC or system for stealing data. These data can be further used for many purposes depending upon their types. Data theft can cause irreparable and incalculable harms to any individual or company. Users’ privacy can be destroyed and weakness can be further used. Luckily, there are many ways to safeguard PC against hacking. Let’s discuss some of them.
- Protection with Firewall: In simple words, Firewall creates a barrier between PC and outside world that in-turns provide protection against any hacking. Firewalls are software that prevent from any unauthorized access and also inform about any attempt of hacking the system. It is in-built with both widely used operating systems. Be sure to enable firewall before going online. Many hardware firewall products are also provided by various companies like Cisco, Sophos , Fortinet, etc. In case of large business organization, they can purchase firewall with additional security features to obtain a shield against any online hacking.
- Install Antivirus: When it comes to protecting system, antivirus plays an important role in providing real-time protection against any virus or attempt to hack the computer. It scans computer for viruses that could harm the system or steal important data. Windows 8 and 10 have inbuilt antivirus software with name window defender. In case of not having any in-built antivirus with operating system, one can also purchase any reputable and trusted antivirus like Avast, Malware bytes, Panda Cloud Antivirus, etc. Also, keep in mind to perform check for virus atleast twice a week to ensure protection against any harmful intrusion to privacy.
- Regularly update OS, apps and browser: With every new day, hacker develops new techniques to hack the system. So it is wisely advisable to update OS as well as new updates come up with various security fixes and features. It also works in similar way with various applications. Also, in case of internet browsing, people should review their browser’s security settings in order to avoid any online tracking and to enhancing personal privacy. Now-a-days, OS, apps and browsers use very sophisticated privacy features due to increment in personal privacy concerns.
- Ignore Spam: In recent years, it becomes a very common practice to break the security shield by sending links through spam emails. Phishing emails by mimicking of any trusted third part names that seem quite trust-able can have links that can be activated while opening the mail content. So, it’s better to ignore spam and bulk mails for not creating a loophole in security shield of the system.
- Keep complex passwords and tricky security answers: A complex password is hard to hacked. Always remember to keep a long password of atleast 8 characters with combination of lower-upper case alphabetical letters, numbers and special characters. Avoid keeping easily hack-able password patterns like date of birth, name, last name, mobile number or short passwords. Also, while setting security answer for recovering or changing forgotten password, it should keep in mind to use tricky answers. It’s not advisable to use any easily recognizable or identifiable security answers or passwords. In case of having multiple passwords, user can use various secure password managers like Dash lane, Sticky Password, Last-pass or Password Boss.
- Backup regularly: Users should do regular backups of their information and data to have a second option in case any hacker destroy or trash their system information. For faster recovery from any cyber disaster and overcoming the loss, backup plays an important role and act as life-saving pill. There are inbuilt backup facility with Mac (Time Machine) and Windows (File History). One can also purchase additional backup spaces from any verified and secure provider.
- Use Two-Factor Authentication: Password act as a front and base force for protecting the system from any online damage while puzzles like recognizing a pattern or entering numerical provides further reinforcement to security force of the system. Many online companies like Facebook, Google, Apple etc. use two factor authentication to enhance the security of user’s account from any online threat.
- Use secure network: While using any broadband router or wireless network for internet facility, it may happen that there are less security features. Before going online, one should review the security features and opts for secure networks. Ignore using any open network that can create any harm to the privacy.
- Use Encryption: Even if anyone has anyhow hacked any system, encryption prevents the hacker from using the stolen data. So, one should use encryption for avoiding the risk of data thefts. Windows or Mac OS can be encrypted by various available digital lockers like Bit locker, File Vault, etc. Also, Pen drives containing important information should be encrypted. Web traffics can be encrypted by using VPNs. Make payment only at any encrypted websites with secure payment gateways.
Combinations of hardware and software’s can ensure maximum safety against any data theft or hacker. So, while using PC, users should equip themselves with security shields and adopt secure ways to browse. It’s one’s personal responsibility to keep his/her own security.